4:18PM: Henrik Lundqvist spoke after the game and said (NYR Game Notes):
- “It’s one thing to lose when you are ready and prepared and play hard but for the first two periods it was not the way we can play, not at home, not in front of our fans, we need to work harder. Mistakes happen, but we can’t accept not being ready to fight for one another. I thought we were not ready and in the position we are in we need to battle every night. It’s not going to be great every night but at least you need to battle and I think that is upsetting.”
- “we have to set the standard high for what we expect from each other, especially at home. If we want to come back in the standings we need to push each other and demand a lot from one another.”
4:10PM: David Quinn spoke after the game and said (NYR Game Notes):
- On Lundqvist, “ridiculous how good he was in the first two periods because those were two bad of periods we have played all year. They out-hit us, out-skated us, out-passed us, out-shot us out-everythinged us but goaltending. Without him we have zero chance to have a good third period. You just can’t play 20 minutes.”
- On the first 40 minutes, “it was embarrassing, we can’t come out and play hockey like that. It’s 200×85 and if you don’t want to be involved in contact then you should do something else. You can’t hide in this game and we hid for two periods.”
- “we were better in the third but that is not good enough at this level.”
3:17PM – First Period:
- Brady Skjei Assists: Pavel Buchnevich, Kevin Hayes
- Reilly Smith (Power Play) Assists: Colin Miller, Jonathan Marchessault
- Paul Stastny Assists: Max Pacioretty, Alex Tuch
- Mika Zibanejad (Power Play) Assists: Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello
- William Carrier Assists: Tomas Nosek
- Chris Kreider Assists: Kevin Hayes
- Alex Tuch from Paul Stastny
- There have been times in the last few games where the Rangers needed that extra ghsave from Henrik Lundqvist but didn’t seem to get it. Today was not that case as Lundqvist was terrific and the only reason this wasn’t a blowout.
- Lundqvist kept the Rangers in this game during a dreadful second period where it seemed as if they were perennially shorthanded and/or played without any defensemen.
- Today was another game similar to what the Rangers have been for the past few weeks. Decent to good, with a goal early, bad for the middle part of the game and then decent to good late. They had some good chances in the third and tied it, but they can’t seem to string 30 good minutes together let alone 60.