- Pavel Zacha (3) (Power Play) Assists: Damon Severson (4), Janne Kuokkanen (3)
- Colin Blackwell (2) Assists: Brett Howden (2)
- Will Butcher (1) Assists: Janne Kuokkanen (4), Nicholas Merkley (2)
- Pavel Buchnevich (4) Assists: Chris Kreider (1), Jacob Trouba (3)
- Yegor Sharangovich (2) Assists: Jesper Bratt (2), P.K. Subban (4)
- Nicholas Merkley (1) Assists: Janne Kuokkanen (5), Janne Kuokkanen (5)
- Mikhail Maltsev (1) Assists: Kyle Palmieri (4)
Jacob Trouba missed the third period with an upper body injury.
- Four losses in a row and after playing Boston tough in two straight games, the Rangers came out flat and let the team that hadn’t played in two weeks dictate things. The Devils were the better team for most of this game and the Rangers have no excuse for that. The fact that the Devils were the better team in the third period, after most players barely skated and are coming off Covid is a big indictment on everyone. Third periods have been trouble all season, but you’d figure that the team that has been playing and practicing would be able to push the team that hasn’t played in two weeks around in the third period, but the Devils took it to the Rangers and deserved to win.
- In general, the Rangers didn’t match what the Devils brought, they struggled defensively, struggled with the puck and the fact that they didn’t draw a PP shows that they didn’t work hard enough.
- The fact that it was tied after the first and then tied again after the second is all due to Igor Shesterkin. Without him, this is 4-0 Devils before the first TV timeout. He was beaten on some deflections, but he was way more good than bad in this game.
- At some point the Rangers are either going to break out offensively or something is going to have to change. What that change is, I don’t know, and you don’t make changes for the sake of making changes, but something needs to wake this team up. I don’t believe David Quinn is in any danger and making trades this year will be tough, but the Rangers need a jolt of something to bring some urgency or energy.
- Artemi Panarin should be back on Thursday and I think we will see him on Mika Zibanejad’s left wing. Kaapo Kakko and Alexis Lafreniere should probably stay with Ryan Strome and maybe Panarin and Zibanejad will connect and get going. Zibanejad took a terrible penalty that led to the Devils first goal and he continues to search for his game.
- K’Andre Miller has been an impact player this year and his absence tonight certainly reflected that. Brendan Smith struggled in a big way and once Jacob Trouba went out, the Rangers had to rely too much on Adam Fox. Fox, who deserves the minutes he is getting, is probably playing too much, but with how the Rangers have been going, they haven’t really had a choice.
- Next up is Philly, another team coming off a Covid break and if the Rangers bring an effort close to the one they brought tonight, they will be blown out.