5:29PM: Buchnevich, Fox and Di Giuseppe all remain on the Covid list.
3:45PM: David Quinn met with the media after practice and said (NYR):
- On Julien Gauthier, “He certainly has made good progress over the last few months and we continue to want to see his game go in that direction. The penalties took a little bit away from some of the good things he did and he has to find that balance of doing the things he’s done well and minimizing the mistakes like every player does. We think he has a bright future, you can see the physical skills that he has and he’s still learning the NHL game. That is the situation he’s in.”
- On Brendan Smith, “Smitty, we’ve talked a lot about him, he brings an awful lot of energy to our lineup, he competes, great personality, helps the young players and he’s played well. Right now he’s a guy that we rely on and I’m happy for him because he knows what he means to this team and certainly like the direction his game is going in.”
- Is all the Covid stuff settled or still TBD, “We are still waiting, we are not sure what their status will be tomorrow, it’s always day to day when you are in the Covid protocol and we will see what their availability is tomorrow.”
- On Kinkaid last night and who is starting tomorrow, “Keith made some big saves, that is for sure. One of the things we have to make sure we clean up is the odd-man rushes and breakaways that we gave up. That is not a recipe for success against anybody, let alone the Flyers. That is something we have to do a better job of and the goalie tomorrow will be Georgiev.”
- On Tarmo Reunanen, “I think that might be the best scenario, be told that day and play and not overthink it. I thought he did a good job, composed, made good decisions with the puck, not just the goal, but I thought he did a lot of good things for us last night.”
- On 3 on 3 Overtime, “3 on 3, one of the things last night, we had possession, but we didn’t take advantage of it and ran enough interference and picks, didn’t try to penetrate inside enough and let them off the hook when we had the chance to maybe exploit them a little bit, we had them tired and made some changes. We just gotta make better decisions on the 3 on 3, we’ve made some costly mistakes in the games that we have lost, which can happen. It’s an area that we have to make sure we clean up.”
- On Georgiev’s recent struggles, “I’m not so sure that it’s the physical aspect, I think it’s more the mental piece for him. I know Benny has been working with him, honestly. That is something Georgie has been pretty good at, he’s been pretty mentally tough since he’s been here and every player goes through a stretch where they are maybe not at their best and he’s going through that right now and we are anticipating him getting out of it.”
- On Julien Gauthier’s penalties, “He got two stick penalties, to me, lunging for a puck, when your stick gets a little loose, that can happen. He’s gotta be a little more under control with his stick and not lunging at pucks. That is something he has to make sure he’s aware of, as does every player. It was a mixed bag for him with the goal and a couple of other good things he did, but the penalties hurt.”
- How much rope can you give Georgiev and what is the latest with Igor, “Igor keeps working his way back, he’s day to day. That is his situation. As far as Georgie, he has a good track record, he’s been struggling a little bit. Kinkaid has played a lot of hockey in a short period of time and we want to get Georgie back in there, we need him. That being said, you’ve gotta play well and he’s certainly getting to the point where… we make sure we are putting the best goalie in there. We know what he is capable of doing and know that if we are going to have the success we are capable of having, we are going to need him.”
1:34PM: Alex Georgiev will start on Wednesday when the Rangers host the Flyers. (NYR)
Georgiev has been pulled in his last two starts and Keith Kinkaid started the last two games.
Anthony Bitetto, who has been out with an injury, practiced on Tuesday. (NYR)
Igor Shesterkin skated on his own prior to practice. (Stephenson)
The Rangers are still waiting to hear on the status of Adam Fox, Pavel Buchnevich and Phil Di Giuseppe as it relates to their place on the Covid list. (Walker)