- Mika Zibanejad (9) (Power Play) Assists: Chris Kreider (9), Adam Fox (27)
- Mika Zibanejad (10) (Power Play) Assists: Chris Kreider (10), Adam Fox (28)
- Ryan Strome (7) Assists: Barclay Goodrow (8)
- Mika Zibanejad (11)
Assists: Chris Kreider (11)
- 3: Chris Kreider
- 2: Igor Shesterkin
- 1: Mika Zibanejad
- I’ve been critical, probably overly critical, of a lot of their wins where they get outshot or only play for part of the game and while they were badly outshot today, I felt that they played pretty well throughout. They seemed very well structured, blocked a lot of shots, broke up a lot of passes, and limited the amount of quality chances Tampa had. And when Tampa did have quality chances, Igor Shesterkin was there.
- This was one of those games where the Rangers just won. They didn’t need to find a way, they got a lead, built on it and defended it well. It was one of their best wins of the season and a nice way to start off 2022.
- Is this how the Rangers should aim to play? Structure-wise, yes, but they still need to have the puck a lot more and create more offense than just off the rush or PP. Mika Zibanejad’s third goal was a good example of them scoring after sustaining offense and going to the net.
- Zibanejad though finally looks like the player the Rangers signed long-term. He’s been rounding into that player for the last few weeks, but he’s back to being arguably their best and most complete forward. Chris Kreider has carried that line for most of the season, but Zibanejad is back and shooting and that will make the Rangers a much deeper team.
- This was the best Igor Shesterkin has looked since he returned on Wednesday. I’d expect Alex Georgiev to go tomorrow.
- Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and the slumping Oilers come to MSG tomorrow. Edmonton has blown leads to NJ and the Isles in their last two games and lost in OT. After that they head out West for four and end their road trip in Philly.