- Chris Kreider (7) (Power Play) Assists: Artemi Panarin (11)
- Seth Jarvis (5) (Power Play) Assists: Sebastian Aho (6), Tony DeAngelo (5)
- Will Cuylle (2) Assists: Jacob Trouba (3), Barclay Goodrow (1)
- 3: Jacob Trouba
- 2: Igor Shesterkin
- 1: Will Cuylle
Adam Fox left the game in the first period with a lower-body injury after a collision.
Filip Chytil left the game in the second period with an upper-body injury.
- They had to gut this one out in a playoff-type game and lost key players, but it’s six in a row and another game where the Rangers had to win in a different way.
- This was a tough game, a slog in the neutral zone, seemingly every single player got a high stick to the face and after the first period not a lot of chances. Carolina was strong defensively in clogging things up, but the Rangers did a lot of the same back to them. There weren’t many chances after the first period, but the Rangers managed to convert on their big chance in the third period.
- It looked scary when it happened, but when Adam Fox skated a bit and stayed in the game a bit longer it seemed like the Rangers had averted disaster. Now we’ll see if that is the case after Fox was out for a little bit more than two periods.
- It almost got worse right away when Igor Shesterkin looked like he was dealing with a leg issue, but he stayed in and he was terrific. He’s played like a closer in the third period, shutting things down and backstopping the Rangers to victory.
- Losing Filip Chytil would also be a big blow. Vincent Trocheck can easily move up between Artemi Panarin and Alexis Lafreniere, but stretching Barclay Goodrow or Nick Bonino to the third line for an extended period would change up the complexion of that line a little bit. They would still be able to forecheck in a similar way, but lose at least the potential for more offense with Trocheck.
- Trocheck isn’t putting up a lot of points so far, but he’s had a real strong start to the season and is clearly one of the players Peter Laviolette trusts and is willing to throw out in different situations.
- Ultimately the Rangers leave tonight with a big two points, a confidence-building win against a team that they will be battling with all season and possibly into the playoffs and their sixth straight victory, but with questions about the health of Fox and Chytil.