10:41PM: David Quinn spoke on MSG after the game and said:
- On the penalties, “A couple of them I really thought were unnecessary on our part, two in particular, four in the course of the game against a team like that, you are going to take them but night in night out, if we are going to have a chance we can’t have that discrepancy in PPs, you can’t be 10 minutes shorthanded more than the other team, it’s just too game changing. Especially against this team, if you are gonna have a chance to beat them you can’t have that discrepancy.”
- On drawing more penalties, “we gotta be less defendable, we gotta draw penalties and earn our ice. We are doing a lot of good things and that is the next step for us. We gotta be more determined with the puck to force people to draw penalties. We are not there yet. 3-2 game, I thought we did a good job in the third and had some good chances and boom, turnover in the neutral zone and it’s 4-2 and them 5-2.”
- On Shattenkirk, “no update, we will know more when we get home tomorrow and evaluate.”
- “I thought there was an eight minute stretch in the second where they really took it to us but I was happy with how we started the third.”
- “When the puck got to our blue line in the offensive zone it was too slow. We weren’t taking quick shots or going D to D in a hurry to change the point of attack, let them get into shooting lanes. We gotta be quicker on the offensive blue line and generate some chances. Again, 10 minutes extra of killing penalties is not a recipe to have success in this league or any league.”
10:30PM: Henrik Lundqvist said that the penalties played a big part in the game and that you can beat a team like this if you play smart.
On the McDonagh goal, Lundqvist said that he made a bad read on the shot and thought McDonagh was going to shoot high.
10:11PM: First Period:
- Kevin Hayes Assists: Ryan Strome, Vladislav Namestnikov
- Steven Stamkos (Power Play) Assists: Victor Hedman, J.T. Miller
- Kevin Hayes Assists: Jimmy Vesey
- Steven Stamkos (Power Play) Assists: Victor Hedman, Brayden Point
- Ryan McDonagh Assists: Brayden Point, Nikita Kucherov
- Anthony Cirelli Assists: Erik Cernak
- Steven Stamkos Assists: Ondrej Palat, Braydon Coburn
- Jesper Fast Assists: Filip Chytil
- Anthony Cirelli (ENG) Assists: Alex Killorn, J.T. Miller
- Tampa Bay is one of the best teams in the NHL and infinitely better than the Rangers are right now. None of that is up for debate and Tampa should be and is heavily favored when they play the Rangers. The Rangers though do themselves absolutely no favors whatsoever by putting Tampa on the PP as much as they did. This game is an uphill climb if the whole thing is played at 5 on 5, but the Rangers have pretty much no chance to win a game like this if they keep parading to the box.
- Penalties aside, this was another game where Henrik wasn’t always as sharp as he needed to be. The Stamkos shots are out of this world but he has to stop Ryan McDonagh’s shot.
- Penalties and not the best game from Henrik Lundqvist aside, it’s also hard to win or compete if you don’t have the puck. The Rangers did not have the puck nearly enough until the the third period and by that time Tampa had pretty much clinched the game.
- It’s now another break for the Rangers until Friday when Derek Stepan and the Coyotes come to town.