The Rangers have announced that they have signed defenseman 2016 4th round pick Tarmo Reunanen.
From the Rangers release
- Reunanen, 21, skated in 58 games with Lukko in Liiga this past season, registering six goals and 19 assists for 25 points, along with 40 penalty minutes and established Liiga career-highs in several categories in 2018-19, including games played, goals, assists, and points.
- Reunanen registered 30 points overall (25 in the regular season, five in the playoffs) in 2018-19; over the last five seasons (since 2014-15), he is one of four Liiga defensemen in their U21 season or younger who have tallied 30 points overall in one season (along with Miro Heiskanen, Esa Lindell, and Sami Niku).
- Reunanen led Liiga defensemen in their U21 season or younger in goals and points, and he also ranked second among Liiga defensemen in their U21 season or younger in assists in 2018-19.
- Reunanen is one of five Liiga defensemen who have recorded at least 25 points during the regular season in either their U21 season or younger since 2009-10 (along with Sami Vatanen, Esa Lindell, Ville Pokka, and Sami Niku).
- He ranked 12th among all players in Liiga – and ranked second among players in their U21 season or younger – in average ice time in 2018-19 (21:14).
- Reunanen logged at least 24:00 of ice time in 19 of his final 31 regular season games, including 12 consecutive games from Dec. 11 to Jan. 17.
- He tied for sixth among Liiga defensemen in assists and ranked eighth among Liiga defensemen in points in the playoffs this past season.
- In addition, Reunanen averaged 22:25 of ice time per game in the playoffs, which ranked 11th in Liiga, and he also recorded 38 shot attempts in the playoffs (6.33 shot attempts per game).
- Reunanen tallied 49 points (13 goals, 36 assists) and posted a plus-28 rating in 68 career games in Nuorten SM-liiga (Finnish junior league), and he helped TPS’ junior team win the league championship in Nuorten SM-liiga in 2014-15.
- Has represented Finland in several tournaments: 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, 2014 World U17 Hockey Challenge, 2015 Winter European Youth Olympic Festival, four games with Finland’s National Team during the 2019 Euro Hockey Challenge. He was one of five players in their U21 season or younger who played at least one game with Finland’s National Team in international competition in 2018-19.
He was briefly a teammate of Kaapo Kakko on TPS.
From the Rangers Prospect Report on 2/25, “I feel I’ve taken big steps since last year. I’ve gained confidence and I play with more poise now. My skating has improved, and that gives me more opportunities with and without the puck.” – Rangers prospect Tarmo Reunanen, who leads all defensemen younger than 21 years old in Liiga in goals and points this season
— New York Rangers (@NYRangers) June 5, 2019
Chris Drury told The Athletic that Reunanen has “popped offensively” playing in Finland and gained some “high-end confidence.”
He has played in 93 games with TPS and Lukko in Finland’s top league, over the past three seasons, scoring six goals and 23 assists.