12:30PM: The lines to start the game are expected to be (Stephenson):
- Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider
- Lemieux, Howden, Kakko
- Buchnevich, Strome, Fast
- Haley, Andersson, Smith
On defense the pairs to start are Staal and Fox, Hajek and Trouba, Skjei and DeAngelo.
David Quinn spoke before the game and said (NYR):
- On the lineup, “it will be the same as last game with the changes we made at the end.”
- What do you want to see today, “try harder physically and mentally. There are going to be nights you may not have it physically but you have to be prepared mentally and play purposeful hockey and we didn’t play purposeful hockey. There are things you are responsible for in all three zones and you have to be in the right position and there wasn’t a lot of that the other night, after what I thought was progress against New Jersey.”
- On staying with the same lineup because you want to give them a chance, “yes.”
- Goalie, “Hank will be the goalie.”
- On Brendan Lemieux, “I thought he had a pretty good night, one of the few guys that had a pretty good night.”
- On DeAngelo, “he’ll play tonight…we had a good conversation yesterday, I’m confident he will be back to the player we are all know he is capable of being, a well rounded player.”
- On Kakko, “18-years old, and it’s part of it, 20-year olds go through it. The only way that guys measure themselves is by points and one of the things every 18-year old has to do, and he is no different, he has to understand that there are responsibilities in all three zones, scoring goals is just as important as preventing them. He wants to learn, he is a guy always looking for help and to be better and we are confident he will. It was also his first back to back too, so that probably didn’t help his cause but it’s also learning that if you don’t feel it physically, it’s learning how to play when you don’t have a lot of energy.”
- On putting Kakko on the top line, “yes, it has been discussed. There is a lot that goes into these decisions, when you make a decision it can’t just be about one guy.”
11:35AM: Henrik Lundqvist will start in net for the Rangers this afternoon against the Canucks.
This is the first time this season that a Rangers goalie has played two games in a row.