- Johnny Gaudreau (11)
- SHG – Mikael Backlund (6)
- PPG – Jacob Trouba (6) ASST: Pavel Buchnevich (16), Adam Fox (15)
- PPG – Filip Chytil (10) ASST: Kaapo Kakko (9), Adam Fox (16)
- Derek Ryan (7) ASST: Dillon Dube (5)
- Kaapo Kakko (7) ASST: Adam Fox (17), Brett Howden (6)
- Sean Monahan (14) ASST: Noah Hanifin (7), Johnny Gaudreau (22)
David Quinn spoke after the game and said (MSG):
- On the game, “You give up two breakways to start the game, 5 on 3 gives up a goal, that really summarizes what are problems are. I thought we did a better job in the second period battling back and that PP in the first, that unit did a heck of a job getting us back in. Then we gave up one, we are just way too loose right now and have to keep working at it.”
- What did you want to see in the second half of the game, “I would have liked to see us stay out of the box in the third period to give us a better chance to win. I think that was a reflection of where we were all night long. When you give up a 5 on 3 shorthanded goal, that summarizes an awful lot.”
- Is it a mentality thing, “yea, yea it is. We have to keep working on changing it.”
- Is there something you can do to help them focus on it, “yea.”
- Was it the third one that bothered people, “yea, I didn’t like the fourth one either – we make a bad read – I thought we played with more intensity and more passion. Silver lining is that we only gave up one goal after the first period so I guess we are making some progress. This is about winning and losing and we are doing enough good things to win hockey games the last two nights.”
- On Chytil being around all the goals, “those guys had a good night tonight, that line and I liked McKegg’s line as well, they did some good things”
- This was one where it seemed like the Rangers might be able to overcome some defensive gaffes and lapses and pick up a win but they couldn’t do it. Too many penalties in the third while down a goal also didn’t help.
- That start was as bad as it gets with the breakway goal and then the 3-on-5 goal where the Rangers on the ice had no interest in shooting. Luckily the second unit came on and actually put pucks towards the net and tied the game.
- This was the best Kaapo Kakko has looked offensively in a while and hopefully that is a sign of things to come.
- The Rangers have a chance to salvage some part of this trip on Saturday against the Canucks but they will need to be much better and much tighter defensively to have a chance.