- Anthony Beauvillier (12) Assists: Nick Leddy (27), Josh Bailey (22)
- Mathew Barzal (15) Assists: Josh Bailey (23)
- Anthony Beauvillier (13) Assists: Josh Bailey (24), Brock Nelson (13)
- This is sort of what I expected from tonight. The Rangers are banged up, nearly mathematically out of the race and played the kind of smothering and defensive team that gives them fits and makes them look like a team with a long, long, long way to go. The Islanders treated the Rangers like the Rangers treated the Sabres and Devils
- They were disjointed and scattered in the defensive zone, unable or unwilling to get the puck in deep and in the event that they do have an offensive chance, Varlamov has owned the Rangers. We make a big deal about how Alex Georgiev plays against the Isles, but Varlamov, like Halak before him, just seems to own the Rangers. They did play better than Thursday, but that wasn’t a high bar to clear.
- The Islanders are a veteran team and their style leads to it, but if there is any lesson the young players need to take from these two games is how to keep playing when you have the lead. The Islanders never allowed the Rangers back in to the game in the way that the Rangers allowed the Devils and Sabres to make those wins much closer than they needed to be.
- Another rough game for Artemi Panarin who is either playing hurt or unable to deal with the pressure the Islanders put on him. My guess is that he’s playing hurt as he isn’t getting any shots on net and the ones that he is attempting are going way wide. In general the Rangers top players couldn’t get it done in the last two games and throughout most of the season series, except the second game of the season.
- I think we will see Igor Shesterkin get the final four starts of the year as they continue to test his durability and ability to take on the #1 role. Alex Georgiev wasn’t a problem tonight, I just think that it’s going to be Igor’s net the rest of the way.
- I’m not sure we will, or should, see Kreider, Trouba or Lindgren again this season. There is really no reason to put them back in the lineup for four meaningless games and those minutes should go to guys like Morgan Barron, Tarmo Reunanen and Julien Gauthier. Zac Jones and Vitali Kravtsov are getting increased minutes and that should continue as well as more PP time for Alexis Lafreniere, Filip Chytil and Kaapo Kakko.
- You just hope that these games against the Islanders and the ones against the Capitals and Bruins to end the season are games that these young players can learn from, take the experiences and bring them into next year and beyond. The Caps and Bruins are still playing for seeding, so these will be tough games for the Rangers and, again, hopefully things they can bring into the offseason to work on and into next season to execute on.
- The Bruins only need to gain one point or the Rangers need to lose for them to be mathematically eliminated.