10:16PM: David Quinn met with the media on MSG following the game and said:
- On the late first period goal, “that was a crusher, not gonna lie, that was a crusher. We had a lot of good things going on in the last 8-9 minutes of the first and had a lot of almost and some big saves. To give up that goal in the fashion that we did was a tough pill to swallow and tough to overcome. We are not in a great mindset right now and to come into the second down 2-0 playing the way we did the last 7-8 minutes and to give up a goal in that fashion really set us back.”
- On the message during the timeout, “we just gotta recollect ourselves, plenty of time left in the game, not feel sorry for ourselves and keep playing the right way. It was getting away from us and you can see guys hanging their heads and starting to do things and pressing and trying to get four goals on one shift. We just had to chip away at it and stick together and not play the score but play the next best shift and give ourselves and chance and we did that.”
9:46PM: First Period:
- Shea Weber Assists: Jonathan Drouin, Max Domi
- Shea Weber Assists: Tomas Tatar, Brendan Gallagher
- Artturi Lehkonen Assists: Paul Byron, Jordie Benn
- Artturi Lehkonen
- Jimmy Vesey Assists: Brendan Smith, Mika Zibanejad
- Ryan Strome (Power Play) Assists: Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad
- Tomas Tatar (Power Play) Assists: Kenny Agostino, David Schlemko
- Saturday night’s in Montreal are rarely, if ever, good for the Rangers and this one followed in that tradition.
- Turnovers and mistakes were filling the Rangers net as their road woes continue. It’s one of those times for the Rangers where when things go bad they go in the back of the net.
- Brady Skjei was given the long-term deal to be a focal part of the Rangers future but he has not taken off in the way they hoped he would under David Quinn. I think there is still a ton of time for him to reach his potential, but he needs to be better.
- These are the stretches that hopefully lead to better things for the Rangers down the line. They hired David Quinn for these times of teaching and development. The hope is that the young players are taking in these moments and experiences and learning how to handle them and get better from it.