The Rangers have called up defenseman John Gilmour and forward Vinni Lettieri from Hartford.
From the Rangers release on Gilmour:
- Gilmour, 25, has skated in all of Hartford’s 66 games this season, registering 20 goals and 33 assists for 53 points, along with 31 penalty minutes.
- He leads AHL defensemen in points, ranks second among AHL defensemen in goals and shots on goal (162), and ranks fourth among AHL defensemen in assists this season
- He also represented Hartford at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic.
- The Montreal, Quebec native skated in 28 NHL games with the Rangers last season, registering two goals and three assists for five points, along with 14 penalty minutes.
- Gilmour was signed by the Rangers as a free agent on August 18, 2016. He was originally selected by Calgary in the seventh round, 198th overall, of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Lettieri has 23 goals and 23 assists in 44 games for Hartford this season.
From the Rangers release, “Lettieri registered a point in 12 of the 15 games he played with the Wolf Pack after he was assigned to Hartford on Feb. 13 (11 goals, eight assists over the span), and he posted a five-game point streak over his last five games with Hartford (six goals, three assists).”
Adam Rotter: David Quinn wants players who shoot the puck and that is what these two do. We’ve seen Lettieri at different times this season and it’s too early in his career to tell if he can translate his production in Hartford to the NHL. He doesn’t offer a ton more than his shooting but if he’s put in the right situation, especially on the PP, he could turn into a useful NHLer. Gilmour has progressed steadily in Hartford with his point production and played a nice amount of games with the Rangers last year. He skates really well and while the Rangers have rotated their 8 defensemen, 7 since Adam McQuaid was traded, it’s a little surprising it took this long for him to get called up. He may be too similar in style and play to Tony DeAngelo, which has both good and bad with it, but as the Rangers are looking to add skill he should definitely get a nice look through the final 10 games.