The Rangers have announced that they have signed 2016 sixth round pick Tyler Wall.
Wall, 22, played for seasons for UMass Lowell and had a record of 58-34-10, with a 2.28 GAA and .918 save percentage.
From the Rangers release:
- “He was named to the Hockey East Third All-Star Team this season.
- He was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on six different occasions this season.
- Wall also served as an alternate captain in 2019-20, becoming the first UMass Lowell goaltender to wear either a ‘C’ or an ‘A’ on his jersey since Dwayne Roloson in 1993-94.
- Wall’s 58 career wins with UMass Lowell are the most by a goaltender since the school began playing in Division 1, and he broke Dwayne Roloson’s record of 51 wins during the 2019-20 season.
- He established collegiate career-bests in appearances (37), wins (26), and GAA (2.06) as a freshman in 2016-17, and he established a UMass Lowell record for wins by a rookie goaltender (he broke the record previously held by Connor Hellebuyck).
- Wall also helped UMass Lowell win the Hockey East Championship in 2016-17, and he was named to the Hockey East All-Tournament Team. He posted a 2.10 GAA or better in three of his four collegiate seasons.”
From the Rangers Prospect Reports over the years:
- 1/16/17: “That was unbelievable. I really like Benoit and all the stuff he taught me. I was surprised at the amount of stuff he could teach me in a week.” – Tyler Wall on his experience with Benoit Allaire at the Rangers’ Prospect Development Camp last summer
- 10/22/18: “Tyler was solid all night long. I thought he was sharp, he looked sharp. He was on the top of his crease, and that breakaway save (he made) was certainly a difference-maker in the second period.” – UMass-Lowell Head Coach Norm Bazin on Tyler Wall’s performance in a 36-save shutout on Oct. 19
- 2/11/19: “His movements were sharp and his performance was solid throughout the game. He played like one of our lead guys.” – UMass-Lowell Head Coach Norm Bazin on the play of Tyler Wall (Credit: UMass-Lowell Hockey website)
- 2/3/20: “He is everything you ask for in a goalie. He gives you a chance to be in every game.” – UMass Lowell Head Coach Norm Bazin on Rangers prospect Tyler Wall