6:25PM: David Quinn said on Tuesday (NYR):
- On Mika Zibanejad needing to step up, “I think Mika is always looking to rise to any challenge regardless of what is going on with our team or any situation. We’ve talked an awful lot about his season and there were some signs the other night and some things we wish everybody had done better, I’ve seen a lot, actually, the last two practices have been really good for him, probably two of his better practices of the year and the bottom line is that he and everybody else has to get it done tomorrow night.”
- On the forward lines, “if I was going to do anything, I was going to keep Strome, Buchnevich and Kreider together, that certainly was something we thought long and hard about because I thought that line played very well the other night. Brace yourself for maybe some lines changing quickly because we are trying to figure out what is the best matches we can have. If you were able to sit in the meetings to decide what our lineup was going to look like, we probably changed it 10-11 times. None of this is 100%, locked in stone.”
- On facing adversity, “One of the things that sports does, it really gives you a chance to show how mentally tough you are and that is something we are getting tested on and everybody is during the course of this season, teams have been hit by Covid, losing 4-5-6 players and they still move forward. Sports is all about how you handle adversity. That really dictates guys that are successful individually and teams that are successful. How do you handle adversity and that is something we have to face and conquer and it’s a challenge we are looking forward to embracing tomorrow night.”
12:38PM: Igor Shesterkin will start for the Rangers on Wednesday against the Flyers. (NYR)
Alex Georgiev started last week’s win against the Flyers, stopping 20 of 22 shots.
Larry Brooks tweets that Filip Chytil and Jacob Trouba skated this morning before practice.
Chytil has been out since 1/26 with an upper body injury that was slated to keep him out for 4-6 weeks.
Trouba broke his thumb last week and is slated to be out 4-6 weeks.
The lines used at practice today were (Stephenson):
- Alexis Lafreniere, Mika Zibanejad, Pavel Buchnevich
- Chris Kreider, Ryan Strome, Colin Blackwell
- Brendan Lemieux, Brett Howden, Julien Gauthier
- Phil Di Giuseppe, Kevin Rooney, Jonny Brodzinski
- Ryan Lindgren, Adam Fox
- K’Andre Miller, Brendan Smith
- Anthon Bitetto, Libor Hajek (Jack Johnson also skating)
The PP units at practice were (Stephenson):
- Adam Fox, Mika Zibanejad, Colin Blackwell, Ryan Strome, Chris Kreider
- K’Andre Miller, Anthony Bitetto, Alexis Lafreniere, Brendan Lemieux, Pavel Buchnevich