- Mika Zibanejad (15) Assists: Pavel Buchnevich (21), Adam Fox (33)
- Artemi Panarin (13) Assists: Filip Chytil (9), Adam Fox (34)
- Pavel Buchnevich (16) (Shorthanded) Unassisted
- Well that wasn’t an easy game for the Rangers and the second period was a little rough, but Igor Shesterkin was outstanding and kept the Rangers ahead by one until Adam Fox found Artemi Panarin for the insurance goal in the third.
- Igor Shesterkin was just terrific and that was the kind of performance that makes you think this team can really make a run at the fourth and final spot in the East. The Rangers themselves need to be better in front of him and play more consistently, but we saw for 15 years with Henrik Lundqvist that great goaltending can cover up for a lot.
- Overall this game looked more like the Buffalo games last week than the Islander games on the weekend and that isn’t great. They found a way to win, mostly because of their goalie, but they were not nearly consistent enough tonight in the way they were for 4-5 periods against the Islanders.
- The Rangers top players came through tonight with Mika Zibanejad and Artemi Panarin scoring. Panarin seemed to kick it up a notch after Ryan Strome got hit, looked determine to score and he did. It was also great that Strome not only returned but didn’t seem hampered after what looked like a potentially serious knee on knee hit.
- Vitali Kravtsov continued to play well and do so across any and every line that he played with. Kaapo Kakko was strong as well and while his point streak ended he really looks like he is close to breaking out offensively.
- So the Rangers win the first of four against the Devils and do so with excellent goaltending but not their best overall performance. They need to find a way to push themselves to play the Devils like they do the Islanders and the Capitals. It’s tough when the Devils drop five guys back and then use their speed to counter and pressure offensively, but when the Rangers are playing simple and structured they find ways to get past those things. Hopefully Thursday is a more complete and easier game.