03:54 New Jersey Miles Wood (10) ASST: Connor Carrick (9), Mirco Mueller (10) 0-1
14:34 New Jersey PPG – Travis Zajac (18) ASST: Damon Severson (27), Nico Hischier (29) 0-2
18:40 New York Brett Howden (6) ASST: Connor Brickley (3), Neal Pionk (19) 1-2
16:36 New York PPG – Filip Chytil (11) ASST: Vinni Lettieri (2), Tony DeAngelo (26) 2-2
15:50 New Jersey Connor Carrick (2) ASST: Drew Stafford (8), Michael McLeod (2) 2-3
18:51 New Jersey EN – Joey Anderson (4) ASST: Kenny Agostino (18), Travis Zajac (27) 2-4
Henrik Lundqvist said on MSG after the game:
- “Turnovers in our own end cost us in the end, it’s a tough one.”
- On his approach to the end of the season, “Well, I don’t know how many I’ll play if I even play, I can’t win a game. Go as hard as I can in practice, prepare, if I get a start I’ll try to make the most of it. You always find a reason to come to the rink and work as hard as you can to try to win a game. We have to try and do that in the last week.”
- “It’s been a tough stretch, to be honest but it makes sense. Georgie is playing really well, getting a lot of minutes and he deserves it. For me, every time you come in there – it’s a different feeling for sure. I have to work harder to get that comfortable feeling, that game feeling that I am used to having when you play every second day and in it and now you feel off. That is the reality now and I have to adjust down the stretch. Like I said, Georgie deserves every minute he is getting right now with how he is playing. He’s finding ways to help the team to win and I’m not.”
- Do you want to play more, “I always want to play but like I said, it makes sense to give him more minutes now for many reasons. Make him feel more comfortable out there, he deserves to play and those two reasons are enough.”
- “we talked about the last 12 games that I would start maybe three. I knew the last couple of weeks would be like this. When you come in and have these starts once in a while you want to make the most of it and help the team to get a win so it’s frustrating not to get a win and help the team. I felt like I worked myself into this game and felt pretty good. This kind of reflects my season overall, this game, you work hard and feel pretty good but it’s just not enough.”
- This game played out like I thought many more would this season with goals from a couple of the young players, a pretty good effort but a loss. The pretty good effort and loss thing has been a constant but Filip Chytil, Brett Howden and Lias Andersson have all had very streaky offensive seasons. That is to be expected as that trio are all rookies, Andersson was up and down, Howden got hurt and missed time and Chytil was out of position, but it was nice to see Chytil and Howden score tonight.
- I think Henrik Lundqvist is going to get the next two games at home and then Georgiev will get Saturday’s season finale. Ottawa on Wednesday is the best chance for Lundqvist, other than tonight’s game, for Lundqvist to get another win and 450 for his career.