- Jordan Eberle (5) ASST: Brock Nelson (17)
- Jesper Fast (8) ASST: Artemi Panarin (39), Brady Skjei (13)
- Chris Kreider (15) ASST: Artemi Panarin (40), Brady Skjei (14)
- Adam Fox (6) ASST: Jesper Fast (12), Artemi Panarin (41)
- Artemi Panarin (25)
- Artemi Panarin (26) ASST: Ryan Strome (30), Jesper Fast (13)
- PPG – Jacob Trouba (7) ASST: Adam Fox (20), Filip Chytil (6)
- PPG – Brock Nelson (16) ASST: Jordan Eberle (15), Derick Brassard (14)
- 3: Alex Georgiev
- 2: Jesper Fast
- 1: Artemi Panarin
- This was obviously one of the better games the Rangers have played this season.
- It continues to be amazing that Artemi Panarin is better than advertised and often worth more than his cap hit of $11.6 million. He just dazzles every time he has the puck and has to be the best Ranger forward, if not player outside of Henrik Lundqvist, since Jaromir Jagr.
- Adam Fox is also better than the hype. He’s so smart with the puck and has an ability, similar to Panarin, to make something out of nothing and often turn that something into a scoring chance. The Rangers can’t sign him to an extension until after next season but he will be the next, following Ryan McDonagh and Marc Staal, to get long-term deals coming out of entry level.
- It wasn’t surprising that Alex Georgiev got the start. He had sat for a bit and, unless Henrik Lundqvist was incredible against St. Louis, it was his turn. Does he go again on Thursday against the Isles? Probably, but Henrik Lundqvist needs to play more and if Igor Shesterkin is going to stay, he needs games too. Maybe Shesterkin goes on Thursday, Lundqvist on Sunday and then Georgiev next week against the Isles before the All-Star break.
- I’m not a big fan of fighting, especially staged fights, but I do think that the two fights in the first period helped the Rangers. Micheal Haley is here primarily because of how physical the Islanders were in the preseason and both he and Smith went up to the Isles and showed that the Rangers weren’t afraid to take them on.
- So the Rangers play one of their better games of the season and need to follow it up with a similar performance on Thursday against the Isles. This was a nice bounce back after the St. Louis game got a bit away from them and it’s the kind of effort and style they need to play going forward.