- Jaccob Slavin (1) Teuvo Teravainen (1), Sebastian Aho (1)
- PPG – Sebastian Aho (1) Andrei Svechnikov (1), Sami Vatanen (1)
- Mika Zibanejad (1) Ryan Lindgren (1), Chris Kreider (1)
- Martin Necas (1) Nino Niederreiter (1), Jaccob Slavin (1)
- SHG – Marc Staal (1) Mika Zibanejad (1), Artemi Panarin (1)
- I don’t know if it was their inexperience compared to Carolina’s, but the Rangers did not seem ready in the first period. They got basically nothing going, seemed unable to keep up with the pace and looked very much like what you’d expect an 11th place team to look like in the playoffs. Maybe the hit on Fast, the early goal, the fight and the penalties took them out of it but they were lucky they were only down 1-0 with how much Carolina had the puck.
- They were better in the second but Carolina clamped down for most of the third and prevented the Rangers from getting much going by making them defend.
- Overall, Carolina was faster, harder on pucks, won more battles and, maybe most importantly, won the special teams battle. Carolina’s pressure on the PK was giving the Rangers fits but you can’t go 0-7. There isn’t much time to work but the Rangers need to be a much better, stronger and cohesive team on Monday.
- Artemi Panarin was at his best in the third but he can be better and the Rangers will need him to be. A lot of the Rangers offensive players need to play a simpler game and hopefully that will lead to more offense.
- I thought Henrik Lundqvist was good in net. It wasn’t great to start the game and go down 1-0 so quickly, but Lundqvist came back from that and was strong. He didn’t have much of a chance on the second goal and it’s a bad bounce of Marc Staal’s skate for the third. He made a number of big saves, the breakaway and the shot by Gardiner in the third, and kept the Rangers in it. Will he start Game 2? It’s hard to say. In a best-of-seven series I think he might, but in a best-of-five where another loss puts the Rangers on the brink? They didn’t lose today because of Henrik Lundqvist, but if Igor Shesterkin is ready to go, I could see the Rangers going with him. Of course, if Shesterkin is unable to play then Henrik will be in net.