3PM: David Quinn met with the media following practice and said (NHL Media):
- On who practiced and whether Igor or Fast will be available, “Jesper won’t be available, haven’t really decided, not really sure yet if Igor will be. Tony and Mika were held out of practice today but both will be available.”
- On the PP’s in Game 1, “we didn’t need to work on our PP, our PP was one thing and one thing only and it’s how slow it was. Give Carolina credit, they kill with an aggressiveness and a pace but I thought our PP was microcosm of what was going on all over the rink from our end of it. We just didn’t skate and there wasn’t a lot of urgency to our PP. We worked on our PP enough the last 2-and-a-half weeks, it’s not about going here and doing that, it’s about playing hockey within your PP and we’ve gotta do a better job of it on the PP and a better job of it 5-on-5 skating and playing with more pace.”
- Who from the taxi squad practiced, “Kravtsov and Fogarty practiced with us today.”
- Do you feel like you need more from Panarin, “We need to get a little bit more from everybody after one game. I don’t want to jump to conclusions or overreact but it is a short series, we do not have time as we have all talked about. We need more out of everybody, this was not a one-guy thing or one or two guys having off-nights, we had too many players having off nights and our guys know it. We need to move past yesterday but certainly learn from it.”
- Why wasn’t Kakko on when you pulled the goalie, “We have our 6-on-5 unit and that is what we wanted.”
- Who do you expect to play Brendan Lemieux’s role while he’s out, “certainly we missed Brendan period but one of the things that I thought was a problem for us was we were overly physical and it took ourselves out of the play way too often. I thought we sacrificed playing hokey for physicality and we don’t have to do that. We have to be physical when the game presents itself to be physical, there is plenty of opportunity to be physical but we went overboard, I thought in that department, we have to be fast and physical and can’t just be physical and not do the things we didn’t do last night.”
- Will Kakko move up with Fast out, “that is something we are certainly kicking around.”
2:35PM: The Rangers Game Preview for Game Two only lists Jesper Fast, and Micheal Haley, as “players unfit to play.”
1:47PM: MIka Zibanejad and Tony DeAngelo didn’t practice but will play tomorrow. (NYR)
Igor Shesterkin’s status is TBD. (NYR)
Fast was hit by Brady Skjei early in the first period and left the ice and didn’t return.
David Quinn said yesterday that Fast didn’t have his “wits about him” after the hit and that it led to Carolina’s first goal.