2:47PM: David Quinn spoke after practice and said (NYR):
- On Igor Shesterkin, “He’s feeling good and he will be playing tomorrow.”
- On Fox and Lindgren, “I think it always helps when you’ve got that chemistry with your partner and those two, everyone’s made note that they’ve played together before, their close friendship off the ice. I don’t think it hurts in any way shape or form that these guys have the relationship they have on and off the ice and that there is a familiarity with each other. I think they both help each other and to me that is a key part in having a really good pairing and we feel really good about that pairing.”
- On playing the Sabres again, “Well we’d like to forget the first period, that is for sure, we did a lot of good things in the second and third, obviously things we are going to have to do better to score more goals, take advantage of the zone time and puck possession, but one of the things that I think has happened a little bit from a defensive standpoint is we’ve gotten a little loose around our net, we’ve gotta get back to tightening things up defensively at our net front and as we’ve all talked about, a little bit more of a shooting mentality with people around the net more. We have that tendency to play too much of an east/west game, cross ice passes. One of the things we talked about in-between the second and third period was that the winning goal was going to have be a rebound or a tip and the second goal was a greasy goal, obviously the winning goal in OT was a little bit different, we just gotta continue to have that mindset because we do have the ability to score pretty goals, but we’ve gotta blend in a little bit more workmanlike goals if we are going to have a chance.”
- On the rest of the lineup tomorrow, “we haven’t decided anything yet.”
- On Julien Gauthier, “He’s definitely more physical around the puck, I think he’s playing more straight line hockey, I like his edge offensively, I think he is doing a good job in that area and he’s playing to his strength a little more, which is something he’s going to need to continue to do.”
2:07PM: Igor Shesterkin will start on Saturday against the Sabres. (NYR)
Shesterkin is 3-1 with a 2.22 GAA and .934 save percentage since returning from injury.