With the Bruins win over the Devils the Rangers are officially eliminated from playoff contention.
- Nic Dowd (10) Assists: Carl Hagelin (9), Garnet Hathaway (11)
- Conor Sheary (13) Assists: Tom Wilson (20), Michael Raffl (6)
- Mika Zibanejad (21) Assists: Artemi Panarin (40), Pavel Buchnevich (25)
- Mika Zibanejad (22) (Power Play) Assists: Ryan Strome (33), Artemi Panarin (41)
- Kaapo Kakko (9) Assists: Kevin Rooney (6), Alexis Lafrenière (9)
- Garnet Hathaway (6) Assists: Nic Dowd (3)
- Daniel Sprong (12) Unassisted
- Nicklas Backstrom (15) Assists: Nick Jensen (12), Michael Raffl (7)
- Tom Wilson (13) Assists: John Carlson (33)
Artemi Panarin did not play after his altercation with Tom Wilson in the second period. The team announced in the third period that he would not return due to a lower body injury.
- So it’s officially, official now and this will be the fourth straight year without the Rangers in the playoffs. The playoffs were always going to be tough this year with the Caps, Pens, Isles, Bruins and Flyers in the division, though the Flyers spiraled out of contention weeks ago. Ultimately the Rangers weren’t good enough or consistent enough this season to make the playoffs. They let too many points get away early in the season when they couldn’t score and Mika Zibanejad was struggling and though they tried, they were never able to dig out of it.
- This should be the last year for, hopefully, the next decade-plus, where the Rangers miss the playoffs. They have their goaltending, they have a young, but improving D that features one of the very best in the game in Adam Fox and up front they have Artemi Panarin and Mika Zibanejad with Alexis Lafreniere, Kaapo Kakko and Vitali Kravtsov all looking like they could break out in big ways next season. It won’t be easy to make the playoffs next year, or any year, but they should be better equipped to do it.
- As for tonight, it was a weird game where the Rangers fell behind, jumped ahead and then Washington took the game back in the third for the win.
- Kaapo Kakko had a really strong game and hopefully he will finish filling the net and making plays.
- I don’t know what to say about Tom Wilson. For a guy that always has the eyes of the league on him, he continues to do reckless and stupid things. I thought the Rangers did a great job in responding to his actions, but he slammed Artemi Panarin to the ice and took him out of the game. Hopefully the league does more than just fine Wilson and claim that his misconduct was enough of a penalty. He has hurt players before and he’s going to continue to do it until the league takes stiffer action.
- Three more games to go and I really hope we continue to see increased minutes for guys like Zac Jones and Morgan Barron, in addition to the Vitali Kravtsov, Kakko and Lafreniere. Jones has had ups and downs, but all of that is to be expected from a guy who was in college a few weeks ago. Increased minutes for him will only help him and make him better heading into next season.