- T.J. Oshie (1) (Power Play) Assists: Alex Ovechkin (1), Evgeny Kuznetsov (1)
- Justin Schultz (1) (Power Play) Assists: Alex Ovechkin (2), Evgeny Kuznetsov (2)
- Hendrix Lapierre (1) Assists: Conor Sheary (1), T.J. Oshie (1)
- Alex Ovechkin (1) (Power Play) Assists: Anthony Mantha (1), John Carlson (1)
- Chris Kreider (1) (Power Play) Assists: Adam Fox (1), Ryan Strome (1)
- Alex Ovechkin (2) (Shorthanded) Assists: Evgeny Kuznetsov (3), Trevor van Riemsdyk (1)
- Well the Rangers were certainly physical……and that was about it. This was certainly not the way anyone wanted the Gerard Gallant era to begin. The penalty killing was awful, the defense kept breaking down and the Caps took every advantage.
- Chris Kreider got one and they finally cashed in on the PP, but the game was out of hand by that point.
- I understand, even though it’s the first two games of the year, not wanting to go back to back, but why start Alex Georgiev? He wasn’t the problem, he certainly didn’t get a lot of help, but why not start Shesterkin? It’s a division game against a team you are likely going to battle for one of the last playoff spots and you go with your second best goalie. Maybe Shesterkin makes no difference and tonight ends the same way, but you gave him all that money and that new contract for him to play against and beat the Capitals.
- There was also the decision to play Dryden Hunt and Jarred Tinordi. With how the game was expected to go, it made sense, but at the same time, you are putting out an inferior lineup without Nils Lundkvist. I don’t mind Hunt, but Julien Gauthier should have played.
- Then there were the fireworks that never came. The Rangers spent all offseason saying that their moves were not in response to Tom Wilson and their lack of fighting him seemed to confirm that. I’m no fan of fighting, but nothing? Not even one in the first couple of minutes that could have put the issue to rest once and for all? It just seemed odd.
- The Rangers were blown out on Opening Night last season and went out and won the next night in a big way. If they win tomorrow, Shesterkin plays well, the PK is strong and their top guys play better then things will be fine, but this was an extremely disappointing and frustrating way to start the season.