- Christopher Tanev (1) Assists: Johnny Gaudreau (7), Elias Lindholm (1)
- Andrew Mangiapane (4) Unassisted
- Dryden Hunt (1) Assists: Jacob Trouba (2), K’Andre Miller (2)
- Blake Coleman (2) Assists: Tyler Pitlick (1), Mikael Backlund (1)
- Mikael Backlund (1) Assists: Noah Hanifin (2), Blake Coleman (1)
- Again, this is a game where the Rangers played even to good hockey for about 20-25 minutes, if that much, but unlike last week, they weren’t able to find a way to win.
- Unlike Saturday when they were down 2-0 in the third, the Rangers were playing a veteran team, with a veteran coach and a defensive system. They weren’t able to take advantage of a bunch of young players and an ice cold back up goalie tonight.
- It’s another game with a lot of turnovers, especially early, a lack of consistent sustained offense and shoddy defense. Igor Shesterkin was excellent early, but was unable to steal this game like he did last Monday against Toronto. The Rangers never seemed to adjust to how Calgary was defending them in the neutral zone and with how they pressured.
- Last season Artemi Panarin was credited with 26 giveaways and that placed him 193 spots below Thomas Chabot’s league leading 82. He had six coming into tonight and was credited with two against the Flames. His passes aren’t connecting, he’s trying to force too many plays and the offense has struggled because of it.
- Ryan Strome looked fine and it will be interesting to see how the lines shake out on Friday when Kaapo Kakko should be back. They could slot Kakko back where he was with Panarin and Strome, they could keep Barclay Goodrow next to Strome and Panarin, put Alexis Lafreniere on the third line with Filip Chytil, shift Kreider back to the left side and put Kakko next to him and Zibanejad.
- It’s still seven games in to the season, but maybe this was good. They had won four in a row, but they were kidding themselves if they thought that they had played well enough to do more than find a way to win. They need to be better and maybe in 5-10 games we will look back at this and laugh because the offense is clicking and they are winning games without needing to “find a way.”
- They have a few days to figure things out before the rebuilding, but only one point behind, Blue Jackets come to town.