Peter Laviolette spoke after the game and said (NYR):
- “It was not good, at all. There is way too much missing in the first period, mildly better in the second, but not good enough and then in the third we decided to work an compete and thought our execution was way off the mark, couldn’t make passes, couldn’t get shots off, off the end of our stick and not executing well. Unacceptable the first half of that game, just, it’s not who we are or who we want to be.”
- “Backchecking is a universal language, there is no system involved there. Finishing your checks and competing for pucks is a universal language, execution has to be a universal language and so there is no excuses for that. There are some system things that we will continue to look at and work at. I thought that there were some mistakes defensively, some mistakes in the neutral zone, offensive blue line. We’ll look at that but that doesn’t let off the hook the rest of it.”
- Jean-Gabriel Pageau (1) Assists: Anders Lee (1), Julien Gauthier (1)
- Brock Nelson (1) Assists: Hudson Fasching (2)
- Bo Horvat (1) Assists: Simon Holmstrom (2), Noah Dobson (1)
- Cal Clutterbuck (1) Assists: Kyle Maclean (1), Ross Johnston (1)
- Brennan Othmann (2) Assists: Vincent Trocheck (1), Matt Rempe (1)
- Barclay Goodrow (1) Assists: Alexis Lafreniere (1), Jacob Trouba (1)
- Will Cuylle (1) Assists: Jimmy Vesey (1), Jacob Trouba (2)
- Anders Lee (1) (Empty Net) Unassisted
The lines the Rangers started with tonight were:
- Artemi Panarin, Vincent Trocheck, Alexis Lafreniere
- Will Cuylle, Mika Zibanejad, Brennan Othmann
- Jimmy Vesey, Barclay Goodrow, Tyler Pitlick
- Adam Edstrom, Jonny Brodzinski, Matt Rempe
- Matthew Robertson, Jacob Trouba
- Ryan Lindgren, Braden Schneider
- Ben Harpur, Mac Hollowell
- This was not a great performance from the Rangers. The Islanders were locked in and that gave them trouble, they were out of sorts, and a bunch of turnovers ended up in the back of the net. They scored three in the final 15 minutes to make it look close on the scoreboard, but the first two periods for the Rangers were brutal.
- I expected that Alexis Lafreniere was going to be on the right side of Mika Zibanejad tonight, but it was nice to see Peter Laviolette give Lafreniere a look next to Artemi Panarin and Vincent Trocheck. I think it will probably be their last look since they struggled and went -3 in the first period with turnovers and shoddy coverage. I think that Lafreniere will go back with Zibanejad and Chris Kreider. Hopefully, Kaapo Kakko gets a look next to Panarin and Trocheck in one of the next two games.
- Brennan Othmann scored again as he looks to make his case to start the season. Will Cuylle also scored late in the game. I still think both could start in Hartford, but after how they have played, it would not be a shock to see one of them start on the third line.
- Jonathan Quick didn’t get any help tonight and his preseason has not exactly been encouraging, but it did take Jaro Halak a bunch of games last year to round into form.
- Two more preseason games to go before it gets real.