- Brock Nelson (1) (Power Play) Assists: Anthony Beauvillier (1), Nick Leddy (1)
- Anders Lee (1) Assists: Nick Leddy (2)
- Mathew Barzal (1) Assists: Cal Clutterbuck (1)
- Jordan Eberle (1) (Power Play) Assists: Noah Dobson (1), Anders Lee (1)
- The Rangers started this game like it was their first preseason game of the season, not the first regular season game. They were rusty, out of sync and the Islanders made them pay. It didn’t help that Igor Shesterkin struggled early and looked uncomfortable, nervous and unsure in net.
- They got slightly better as the first period went on and were better in the second, but guys were still playing at different speeds and with no more than two players on the same page at the same time. It was even more pronounced since the Islanders looked like they were in midseason form with their structure and counter attack.
- Shesterkin though did look better as the game went on, especially in the third. Even so, my guess is that we see Alex Georgiev on Saturday.
- The Rangers took too many penalties and didn’t do nearly enough on their PP chances. At times the PK looked good, but they still gave up two and, in general, took too many.
- It was a bad start and against a team like the Isles, that just defend you to death, it can be tough to overcome, especially when guys aren’t on the same page when they have the puck.
- There was just a lot that went wrong for the Rangers tonight. A lot of it self-inflicted and hopefully they have moved past whatever nerves or first-game jitters they had. Saturday will hopefully be a smarter, more disciplined and better game.